Monday, October 3

Tutorial - Flag Fold Cards


I have a fabulous display card to share with you today, featuring five little flags that project from the centre of the card, giving it it's name. Despite how it looks, it's not too difficult to create and will fold up nicely for posting in a standard envelope.


1. You'll need one piece of heavy patterned paper measuring 10" long x 6" high, one piece of cardstock measuring 8" long x 6" high, and five 2" squares of cardstock for the flags. Extra patterned paper and embellishments will be needed for decoration once the base is created.


2. Score the piece of cardstock and fold in half to form a 6" x 4" card. Set aside.


3. Place the patterned paper horizontally on your scoreboard and score at 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7" and 8".


4. Concertina fold the card, starting and ending with valley folds. You should have three peaks in the centre of the paper and a 2" flat section on each side. Refer to the photo below.


5. Apply adhesive on the back of the 2" flat sections on either side of the patterned paper. DO NOT apply any adhesive to the concertina section in the middle.


6. Line up the adhesive ends of the patterned paper with the sides of the card blank and press firmly in place. The concertina section should be free to fold and unfold as you open and close the card. Set aside.


7. It's easier to decorate the "flags" at this point rather than after you have secured them to the card. Add some patterned paper, stamps, images and other embellishments as desired. Keep in mind that any decorations you add should be flat as they will be included in the folds of the card.


8. Apply adhesive to the half of the "flag" that will attach to the card. Double check before you add any glues or tapes to make sure you're applying it to the correct side.


9. Start by adhering the centre "flag" halfway up the middle fold. I used a centring ruler to make sure I placed it correctly.


10. Now adhere two flags on the first fold, one flush with the top of the card, and one flush with the bottom.


11. Apply the last two flags on the last fold, one flush with the top of the card and one flush with the bottom.


12. Decorate the front of the card as desired. I used a digital image, coloured with copic markers, some ribbon and patterned paper. The card is quite bulky when complete, so you might like to create a belly band or ribbon tie to hold it closed.


I think this fold would be fabulous for Christmas, decorated with lots of different sized snowflakes, glitter and snowmen. I hope you'll give it a try!

26 comments:

Teresa said...

Pretty card!

Sandra H said...

This is lovely thank you for sharing the tutorial and the image on the front of the card is lovely too!

aussie aNNie said...

Love this fold and thanks for sharing your amazing skills.xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful fold Beccy - thank you for giving such clear instructions for it
Blessings
Maxine

Donna Ellis said...

Thank you, Beccy! I have never seen a flag fold like this! Great tutorial!

Elli p.´s Stempelvitrine said...

Beatyful card Beccy! Thank for that making off !
Nice day, Sabine

cardchick's world said...

LUV THIS!!!!! Beccy have you ever thought of making you tube videos???
I would luv to see you make all your tutorials...I would subscribe...

Unknown said...

i like it. you are very smart
biet thu dep
nha xinh

Borqna said...

Thank you very much!!!
Good luck!

ruthieberry said...

Great card, off to try it now!! Thanks for sharing Beccy!!

Dia said...

Hele mooie kaart. Wat zijn de maten in cm. Groetjes.

Linda said...

Beautiful card and I really like the paper. Is this Stampin Up paper and if so, what is the name of it. Thanks for sharing.

Linda D.

Beccy said...

Hi Linda. Thanks for your compliment on the card, it was a fun one to make. The paper is actually by Maja Design, but I don't remember what the collection is called. You should be able to find it on their site or your favourite paper craft store.
Cheers,
Beccy

Rene from OZ x said...

Thanks Beccy, this is great.
Rene from OZ x

missdarbc@gmail.com said...

This is the first time I have visited your blog and I am impressed at your ability to keep things simple. I will be back more often and I hope you will consider visiting and following my blog at https://thepapermanipulator.blogspot.ca/

Unknown said...

I’m going to make this for Valentines for my husband! I will modify the flags by using heart shapes with sayings like the heart candies.

Unknown said...

This was fast and very easy! Thanks! LOVE IT!!!

NAT said...

THANKS!

Lynne Selleck said...

I've used your amazing tutorial. It gave amazing result although next time I will use a wider width of card as I added extra embellishments which poked out of the card.

Unknown said...

Appreciate the clear directions and step pics. Will make this for sure.

Patti said...

Great card! Thanks for your clear instructions.

Nessie said...

It sounds pretty easy. I think, I will definitely give it a go. My dad‘s birthday is next month and I can’t visit him, different country, so that might be a nice surprise. Thank you very much for the tutorial

PJ said...

I've got to try this card, it's so different and looks easy to make. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Merci pour ce joli partagé.je vais essayer de la faire

Unknown said...

Merci pour ce tuto qui peut servir pour différentes occasions.

Kampin' Karen said...

I love this Beccy and intend to CASE it! I wish you'd enter it at Creative Creases Challenge - Anything with a fun fold! I just finished coloring your "Maggie" with Girls just want to have sun sentiment. I hope you'll see it on PIP's challenge 6/26.